Internet Safety is Our Priority!
Yet, even with all of the rules in place, your child's safety starts at home. So explore the internet together! There are endless resources available that offer internet safety tips, like:
Here are a few other tips to get you started:
- Establish a set time of day your kids can be online - also, the length of time, and sites they are allowed to visit.
- Reassure your kids so they feel comfortable about coming to you any time they are uncertain about what they see online.
- Report questionable sites to your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
- Block kids from chat rooms using safety features provided by your ISP or with special filtering software.
- You may choose to enable the search history on your computer so you can follow along with your child's interests and advise them of unsafe places they may have visited.
- Make sure you know other locations from where your child has access to the internet and set the same rules for them, too.
Talk to your kids directly about internet safety. Here are a few important rules that every child should know:
- Never give out personal information, like your name, home address, phone number, photos or passwords. If anyone ever asks for it, tell an adult immediately!
- Never talk to strangers - that goes for online too! Even if they seem nice - it doesn't mean they really are!
- Never make plans to meet somebody you met on the internet. This is a very important rule to emphasize!
- Never respond to a threatening email or message. If a person writes something that is mean or makes you feel uncomfortable, log off immediately and tell a parent! Parents will always listen to kids better than strangers, no matter what!
- Nothing you write on the web is totally private. So be careful about what you type and be careful who you tell. There's a chance someone can read it if they really want to!
- If ever you feel unsure, or uncomfortable with an internet situation, ALWAYS log off and ask a parent for help!
Click here to learn about COPPA regulations.
Care Bears ©2017 Those Characters From Cleveland, Inc. a division of American Greetings Entertainment.